Wednesday, May 16, 2007

On the eve of Mother's Day,
Sankarācārya’s Mātr Pancakam

Remembering ācāryā’s bhakthi towards Motherhood and his polemics in describing the Nature of her compassion.
_________________

The Mother of all worlds is Ksama – patience. Ksama is Kriya the cosmic force & she is composure of compassion. She is none but Māyā. The immense bliss is her innate nature as she is the divine consort of Lord Visnu, as Sankarācārya says ‘Vaisnavim sām Māyām’ She renders the divine wisdom which is as sweet as Honey (Amrta). She is hence called Madhu-mathi. By her pleasing phenomenal postulations, she is magical in Phenomenon. She is inseperable from the Ultimate abode – Visnu – jagat kartrtvam iswaratvam māyikam ēva. She manifests with Visnu Bhakthi. She bears the golden womb and known as Hiranmayi. By her absolute pure compassion daya, she makes Vishnu Black like 'moisture bearing clouds' in the sky. Mother Māya is so intimate to Vishnu and her luster illuminates the world. She is Vishnu amsa says Bāgavata Mahāpurāna ‘sa vai bhagavatas sāksāt Vishnor amsāmsa sambhavah’ She is tranquil (sāntata) and trance. Such is the nature of Māya as she is the mother of Universe. Sankarācārya considers his mother as the incarnation of the Universal Mother – Māyā and worships her by the following five stanzas, popularly known as Mātr pancakam. On account of Mothers day, it is indeed important to meditate on ācāryās words, those that are relevant in each and every walk of our lives.

Aasthām tāvaddiyam prasoothi samaye durvāra soola vyathā, nairuchyam thanu soshanam malamayī sayyā cha samvatsarī, ēkasyāpi na garbha bāra bharana klēsasya yasya kshmah
Dhathum nishkruthi munnathopi thanayas tasya jananyai namah 1

Padārtha:
Aasthām tāvaddiyam what can be compared to the care prasoothi samaye during the time of my birth durvāra irresistible hard pain soola vyathā the sharp pain,nairuchyam (your) health thanu Body (condition) soshanam withered and dessicated malamayī troubled with dirt sayyā in bed cha samvatsarī for a year long,ēkasyāpi garbha bāra the weight of the foetus bharana bearing na without klēsasya distress and aversion yasya for your akshmah irresistible suffering Dhāthum having given nishkruthi my atonement munnathopi (however) Noble thanayas son tasyai your jananyai oh mother namah I salute

Vācyārtha:
Oh divine mother! It is you who forbeared the immense pain that casued during the time of labour, When I was born to you. Oh mother you kindly made me sleep beside you even when I was stinking with excretions. It was due to me Oh Mother your body was made thin due to pain and hunger.you treated me as a jewel adorning your waist for all those months you bore me in your womb. For all these in return, what do I have with me my dear Mother ! I can never imagine any thing in this world that can compensate your compassion. however high may I go, nothing best will reach apart from you lotus feet.Oh Mother I worship you!

gurukulamupasruthya swapnakaale thu drushvtā, yathi samuchitha vēsham prārudho mām tvamucchēhgurukulamadha sarva prārudatthē samakshamsapadhi charanayosthē māthurasthu pranāmā. 2

Padātha
Gurukulamupasruthya Having reached my Teachers residence swapnakaale thu in your dreams drushvtā when you saw me, yathi as an ascetic samuchitha vēsham wholly in that attire prārudho rushed mām unto me tvamucchēh you cried aloud gurukulamadha in my teachers place sarva everyone prārudatthē (were) emotionally stirred samaksham (when they saw your compassion) manifested before their eyes sapadhi that moment charanayosthē the bliss that I had māthurasthu Oh Mother! Pranāmā My Salutaions.

Vācyārtha
Oh my dearest mother! While in your dreams when you say me as an ascetic, you wept and rushed to my place where I studied. Cuddled and fondled me with warmth and love. On seeing this, my teacher and fellow students were moved by your passionate love. I am still frozen by this oh mother! I do not know anything else except to fall at your lotus feet to offer my salutations.

ambethi thāthēthi shivēthi tasmin, prasoothikale yadavocha ucchēh, krishnethi govinda hare mukunda, iti jananyē rachito ayamanjali 3

During the terrible time of hard labour while you delivered me, Oh Mother ! you cried aloud the auspicious names of the Supreme God ‘Hey Hari! Govinda! And Mukundha!’ I helpless when I think of that pain you endeavored then. What do I do in return ? Please accept by humble prostration unto your feet, my dearest Mother !

na dattam mathasthē marana samayē thoyamapi vā, svadhaa vā no dhēyā maranadivasē srādha vidhinana japthvā mathasthē marana samayē thāraka manur, akāle samprāpthē mayi kuru dhayām mātharathulaam 4


I was not here with you to give water when you are in need. Neither did I offer the last oblative ceremonies that’ll aid your last journey! I did not even recite the tāraka mantrā in your ears when you needed ! Oh Mother ! Do forgive me for all these lapses on my side, may it merge unto your compassion. I’m afer all your beloved Son Mātha !

mukthā manithvam, nayanam mamēthi, rajēthi jīvēthi chiramsthu thathvam, ithyuktha vathya vāchi māthah, dadāmyaham thandulamēva shushkam 5

Oh Supreme Mother ! you are eternal in me ! as the darling pearl. Glittering as soul. You adorne me as a jewel. You are the gems, rolling in my eyes! You are ever intimate Oh Māthā! You are the song of my Self and rhythm of my Life! You have offered me the most precious things in this world! In turn of all that you’ve given me, I give you the dry rice in your mouth, when you are dead.
Hari Om

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very nice tribute to (your) Mother, Aham...

2:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am proud to have this valuable gift on mothersday! very nice...

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home